CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: 2019 Canadian Carmichael Landscape Exhibition: Tradition Transformed
Carmichael Canadian Landscape Exhibition: Tradition Transformed
November 8, 2019 – January 22, 2020
Reception: November 8, 2019 7–9pm
The Carmichael Canadian Landscape Exhibition: Tradition Transformed was created in recognition of Group of Seven member, and Orillia native Franklin Carmichael. Now in its 18th year, this juried show calls on artists from across the country to submit work that embraces, challenges, comments, critiques, echoes, re-works or strengthens images, perceptions and interpretations of Canadian landscape through the artist’s chosen medium. Heavily rooted in Carmichael’s beliefs on traditionalism and classical modes of artistic expression, Carmichael himself was very much invested in contemporary artistic styles having been inspired by his native Canadian surroundings.
Deadline for Submission: Friday, July 26, 2019
Jury Results: Friday, August 30, 2019
Submission fee: $35 +HST (non-refundable), per submission, up to 3 submissions maximum
Jurors’ Prize - $2000
Kevin J. Batchelor Emerging Artist Award - $1000
Paul Quarrington Multidisciplinary Arts Award- $500
- Only email submissions will be accepted
- Still images must be jpegs not exceeding 1024 (w) x 768 (h) pixels
- Hyperlinking to a specific image file is NOT acceptable
- Animated gifs ARE acceptable
- Video files must be accessible by QuickTime, Flash or Windows Media Player
- Video files ARE acceptable
- Hyperlinking to a specific video file IS acceptable
- Video file submissions must not exceed 3 minutes (exhibited video may be longer)
- Files must not be compressed (e.g. .zip) or in any type of presentation (e.g. PowerPoint)
- Submission Form available for download (found below installation image)
OMAH is not responsible for submissions that do not arrive intact and in a readable format.
- Complete, and attach Submission Form (Word and/or PDF document)
- Attach/link to digital support material
- Title email: LASTNAME: Carmichael Canadian Landscape Exhibition Submission (e.g. SMITH: Carmichael Canadian Landscape Exhibition Submission)
- Make appropriate payment arrangements
Email Submission Form and Digital Support Material to Exhibitions
Payment of Submission Fee Options:
By phone: call 705 326-2159 with credit card information
By mail: enclose cheque
In-person: debit, credit, or cash
Email Money Transfer: Send $35.00 + HST to the Executive Director. Please email password.
Carmichael Canadian Landscape Exhibition
c/o Orillia Museum of Art & History
30 Peter Street South
Orillia, Ontario L3V 5A9
- Exhibition is open to all artists residing in Canada.
- Artwork must in some way centrally address the topic of Canadian Landscape or artistic approaches to Canadian Landscape.
- Artwork must be original AND have been created in the last three (3) years AND must not have appeared in prior exhibitions or events in the City of Orillia.
- Artists may make up to three (3) separate submissions ($35 + HST each).
- Entry fee of $35.00 + HST CDN must accompany each individual submission and must be received by OMAH no later then the submission deadline, July 26, 2019.
- The jury, comprised of active arts and culture professionals, will make their decisions on the basis of digital submissions.
- There are no size restrictions, however artwork must be able to pass through 36” door openings. Due to spatial constraints, only a limited number of larger works will be accepted.
- Accepted artworks must be received by OMAH on or by Monday November 4, 2019 between 10am – 4pm.
- A printed or clearly written identification label that includes Artist, Title, Date, Medium, Dimensions, and Price must accompany artwork.
- Transportation of artworks to and from OMAH is the responsibility of the artist(s). Artwork that is shipped must come with arrangements for return.
- Artwork must arrive display-ready with appropriate hardware. Two-dimensional work must be ready to hang. Photographs should be professionally mounted and/or framed. OMAH reserves the right to refuse work if it arrives in a condition unsuitable for presentation in a museum gallery setting.
- Accepted entries must remain on display until the final day of the exhibition, Wednesday, January 22, 2020.
- Artworks must be removed from OMAH on Thursday, January 23, 2020, between 10am – 4pm.
- After Monday, January 20 2020, artworks are no longer insured by OMAH.
- Recipients of prizes will be announced at the reception, Friday, November 8, 2019.
- Prizes must be accepted as awarded.
- Any sales of artwork are to be divided: 60% to the artist, 40% to OMAH.
- Jurying will be a two-stage process. Preliminary jurying will be conducted through electronic submissions in August 2019. Successful candidates will then be notified by email on Friday, August 30, 2019. At that time, candidates will be invited to submit supplemental information for consideration for The Kevin J. Batchelor Emerging Artist Award. This is subject to change. The Jurors’ Prize and the Paul Quarrington Multidisciplinary Art Award recipients will be determined by the Jurors.
- OMAH allows visitors to take photographs in the museum. If artists do not want their work photographed, they must inform the Museum in writing. In most cases, and to the extent that enforcement is reasonable and possible, OMAH will attempt to accommodate artist’s request.
- OMAH retains the right to use artist’s images for promotional purposes related to the current and future iterations of the Carmichael Canadian Landscape Exhibition.
Artwork Dropoff: Monday, November 4, 2019, between 10am – 4pm (or pre-arrange to have work shipped to arrive by November 4, 2019)
Artwork Pickup: January 23, 2020 between 10am – 4pm